Thursday, January 21, 2010

New scheduling system

So this week we started a new schedule/organization system. It's a variation of  a workbox system. Those of you who are familiar with maybe special needs classes might have seen something like it before. This is how we do it:
I make my lesson plans for the week, and then I break it down by task. Every assignment or task that the boys have is put into a ziploc bag, along with any materials they may need to complete it. Each bag has a number on it. Each of the boys have their own box where I put all of the bags for the day. Then I make them their own schedule.  They can look at it in the morning and know exactly how many things they need to get done that day. How long their schoolday will last is, for the most part, up to them. Some of the tasks are timed, so they each have their own timer. Each task has a "tag" on their schedule. Once that task is complete, they remove the tag and put it, along with the completed work, into my "in box".
Caleb was pretty excited about it because he has his own box! He is a hands-on learner a lot of the time, and loves it when we do something new! Josiah doesn't display much emotion over anything, but he seems to like it. I set up a week's worth of bags and schedule at a time. That way, everything we need is together and ready to go. So far, it has made the school day easier because the boys don't have to wait for me to gather supplies or get the next assignment ready. They can just move from one to the next.

As with any new thing, it seems to be going really well. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it still works. Haha!



bags of assignments



daily schedules




boxes

2 comments:

  1. doin great! Your an awesome teacher, glad you and the boys are having fun learning. Thanks for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you have a blog, now! It's so neat to hear how other homeschoolers are doing things. I can always use more ideas...keep it coming, Girl! ;o) xo~Cat

    ReplyDelete