So, here I am, NOT a writer, by any stretch of the imagination but, I decided I'd share my adventures with everyone.
We are fairly new to homeschooling this year. We had a "trial run" a few years back with just my middle child but, weren't really "homeschooling" - not like we are now. I have one in 6th grade and the other is in 4th this year. We started thinking about schooling at home about this time last year when it came out that my fourth grader was having trouble in the classroom. I love how the teachers always say, "it's fine, he's doing good", and then it comes out halfway(or more) through the year that he's really not doing good and now they don't know what to do with him. He's NOT a bad kid, just needs one on one attention to help him focus. So hubby and I talked it over and prayed and decided if this is what we were going to do, we were jumping all the way in - head first! My oldest was "iffy" about it at first but, warmed up to the idea. Now they both love to tell people they are homeschooled.
Our style is what you might call eclectic, as is our curriculum. We are taking a little bit from here and there and putting it all together. So far, we are loving it! I'm in the process of ordering a few things curriculum-wise, especially for my 6th grader. That kid is so smart. The main curriculum we've been using is a unit study. However, he knows most of the subject matter it covers so, I've had to stretch to find things for him to do with it. My method isn't perfect but, they are learning. That's the great thing about me being the teacher/administrator, I can change things around if it's not working. I don't have to wait for a meeting to "come up with a plan", and then wait another month or two for that plan to be implemented. If you have a chuild who has needed help in the public school system, you know what I'm talking about!
So here we are, learning as we go! It's 8:45am, and my boys are still sleeping...and I love it!!!
you go girl! i am impressed that you have time to think and write it down.haha. i will be praying for you.
ReplyDelete